Tier 2 categorises a hospital’s non-admitted services into classes which are generally based on the nature of the service provided and the type of clinician providing the service. The structure of the classification is first differentiated by the nature of the non-admitted service provided. The major categories are:
- medical consultation services
- diagnostic services
- allied health and/or clinical nurse specialist intervention services.
For example, a hospital outpatient clinic which performs endoscopies will be classified to a class in the procedures category. A clinic which performs computerised tomography (CT) scans will be classified to a class in the stand-alone diagnostic services category. A clinic run by a doctor who sees patients for consultations will be classified to a class in the medical consultation services category.
The next level of the classification is the type of clinician providing the service. This could be based on the specialty or profession of the clinician. For example, a clinic run by a cardiothoracic surgeon who sees patients for consultations before and after cardiac surgery is classified to the cardiothoracic class. A clinic run by an obstetrician who sees women for consultations before they give birth is classified to the obstetrics class. A clinic run by a physiotherapist who sees patients for consultations and treatments is classified to the physiotherapy class.
There are also a number of classes for specialist clinics which treat patients with specific conditions. For example, there are classes for specialist burns clinics, transplant clinics and cystic fibrosis clinics.
Classification rules exist to guide the decision making regarding which Tier 2 class a clinic should be classified to. IHPA has developed a suite of three reference documents to assist the consistent allocation of non-admitted services to a Tier 2 class.
Read more about the development of the Tier 2 Non-Admitted Care Services Classification here.
- Tier 2 Non-Admitted Services Definitions Manual 2018-19
- Tier 2 Non-Admitted Services Compendium 2018-19
- Tier 2 Non-Admitted Services National Index 2018-19
- Tier 2 Non-Admitted Services Definitions Manual 2016-17
- Tier 2 Non-Admitted Services Compendium 2016-17
- Tier 2 Non-Admitted Services Definitions Manual 2015-16
- Tier 2 Non-Admitted Services Compendium 2015-16
- Tier 2 Non-admitted services 2014-15
- Tier 2 Non-admitted Services 2013–14
- Tier 2 Non-admitted Services 2012-13
Data set Specifications
- Non-admitted patient care hospital aggregate National Minimum Data Set (NMDS) 2014–15
- Non-admitted patient care Local Hospital Network aggregate DSS 2014–15
- Non-admitted patient Data Set Specification (DSS) 2014–2015
- Non-admitted patient care aggregate National Minimum Data Set (NMDS) 2013–14
- Non-admitted patient Data Set Specification (DSS) 2013–14
*The document on this page is not accessible. If you need help accessing this file please contact IHPA by email enquiries.ihpa [at] gov.au or by calling +61 2 8215 1109.