You are here
ICD-10-AM/ACHI/ACS Eleventh Edition
ICD-10-AM/ACHI/ACS Eleventh Edition, implemented 1 July 2019, is the current edition used for classifying episodes of admitted patient care across Australian hospital services.
For current edition coronavirus classification resources access How to classify COVID-19.
National Coding Rules
Coding advice in the form of national Coding Rules are generally published every quarter. National Coding Rules are maintained on the Australian Classification Exchange (ACE) which has a list of current and updated Coding Rules.
|National Coding Advice – Coding Rules and Eleventh Edition FAQs||1 July 2021|
|Coding Rule - COVID-19 vaccines causing adverse effects in therapeutic use||1 January 2021|
|Coding Rule - Post COVID-19 conditions||1 January 2021|
|Coding Rule - Coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19)||1 January 2020; updated 27 march 2020|
|Coding Rule - Vaping-related disorder||September 2019|
|Coding Rules Retired||30 June 2019|
|1 January 2020|
|1 October 2019|
|1 July 2019|
|1 July 2019|
Summary of changes
- Summary of ICD-10-AM/ACHI/ACS Eleventh Edition updates
- Reference to changes for Eleventh Edition
- ICD-10-AM/ACHI/ACS Chronicle
Note: The ICD-10-AM/ACHI/ACS Chronicle is hosted on an external file sharing website, Box.com. Some firewalls and virtual private servers (VPS) may block access to this page. Please contact your organisation’s IT support for further information.
Education materials and FAQs
- To access Eleventh Edition education files, please visit ICD-10-AM/ACHI/ACS Eleventh Edition
- FAQ Part 1 (updated for 1 October 2019)*
- FAQ Part 2 (effective 1 October 2019)
- National Coding Advice – Coding Rules and Eleventh Edition FAQs (current at 1 April 2021)
Clinical updates have been developed for clinical coding education purposes and can be used over multiple editions, where appropriate. Previously the clinical updates were located under national coding rules but as they are for education purposes only, and do not contain rules for coding, they are now provided separately.
Note: The archived volumes of Coding Matters is hosted on an external file sharing website, Box.com. Some firewalls and virtual private servers (VPS) may block access to this page. Please contact your organisation’s IT support for further information.
Mapping tables for ICD-10-AM and ACHI
Mapping tables provide a link between two editions of a classification. There are two types of mapping tables provided in the ICD-10-AM and ACHI maps:
- Backward maps – provides equivalent code for new codes in the newer edition
- Forward maps – provides equivalent codes for deleted codes in the newer edition
Both of these types of maps provide an equivalent code that best matches the concept from a clinical perspective (called historical maps) as well as an AR-DRG perspective (called logical maps). Sometimes the historical map and the logical map are the same code.
Multiple historical maps are provided where there are multiple codes that can be mapped from one edition to the next. The first historical map provided in the mapping table is the closest match to code descriptor, alphabetic index entries or relevant coding conventions.
Mapping tables for ICD-10-AM and ACHI First to Third Edition are provided for free:
Mapping tables for ICD-10-AM and ACHI Fourth to Eleventh Edition are available for purchase. For further information, please see Products and Licences.
Mapping tables for ICD-10
To maintain compatibility with the World Health Organization’s ICD-10, mapping tables are provided to link ICD-10-AM codes with ICD-10 and ICD-10 to ICD-10-AM.
|ICD-10 to ICD-10-AM||ICD-10-AM to ICD-10|
For details on how to use the ICD-10 to ICD-10-AM mapping tables, please see the
For details on how to use the ICD-10-AM to ICD-10 mapping tables, please see the
Other mapping files
ICD-10-AM/ACHI/ACS classification system products
You can purchase the following products for the ICD-10-AM/ACHI/ACS classification system and the AR-DRG classification system:
- ICD-10-AM Tabular List
- ICD-10-AM Alphabetic Index
- ACHI Tabular List
- ACHI Alphabetic Index
- Australian Coding Standards
- AR-DRG Definitions Manual
- Mapping tables between ICD-10-AM/ACHI editions
- Electronic Code Lists (ECLs).
No licence agreement is required to purchase ICD-10-AM/ACHI/ACS classification system or AR-DRG classification system products if you are located within Australia, however international users may be required to sign a licence agreement to use these products.
For more information on which editions are available for purchase and information on licence agreements, please see Products and licences.
ICD-10-AM/ACHI/ACS previous editions
Previous editions of ICD-10-AM/ACHI/ACS were used for coding episodes of admitted patient care across Australian hospital services. For a list of mapping tables please see above.
Below are the previous editions and their associated resources.
- ICD-10-AM/ACHI/ACS Tenth Edition
- ICD-10-AM/ACHI/ACS Ninth Edition
- ICD-10-AM/ACHI/ACS Eighth Edition
- ICD-10-AM/ACHI/ACS Seventh Edition
- ICD-10-AM/ACHI/ACS Sixth Edition
- ICD-10-AM/ACHI/ACS Fifth Edition
- ICD-10-AM/ACHI/ACS Fourth Edition
- ICD-10-AM/ACHI/ACS Third Edition
- ICD-10-AM/MBS-E/ACS Second Edition
- ICD-10-AM/MBS-E/ACS First Edition