You are here
Admitted acute care
Admitted acute care is care in which the primary treatment goal is to:
- manage labour (obstetric)
- cure illness or provide definitive treatment of injury
- perform surgery
- relieve symptoms of illness or injury (excluding palliative care)
- reduce severity of an illness or injury
- protect against exacerbation of illness or injury which could threaten life or normal function
- perform diagnostic or therapeutic procedures.
The Australian Coding Standards (ACS) are a set of rules used by health information managers and clinical coders in the assignment of codes that represent diseases or interventions relevant for episodes of admitted patient care. The ACS are used with the following classifications:
- International Statistical Classification of Diseases and Related Health Problems, Tenth Revision, Australian Modification (ICD-10-AM)
- Australian Classification of Health Interventions (ACHI).
This classification system is collectively known as ICD-10-AM/ACHI/ACS and is used for admitted patient care including acute, subacute and mental health care. In Australia, the current edition is ICD-10-AM/ACHI/ACS Eleventh Edition, implemented 1 July 2019.
The Australian Refined Diagnosis Related Groups classification is used to classify patients into clinically meaningful groups and provide a way of relating the types of patients treated in a hospital to the resources required. It is underpinned by data coded using the ICD-10-AM/ACHI/ACS classification system and uses other administrative variables collected for routine hospital data reporting.
AR-DRG Version 10.0 is currently used for pricing admitted acute care in Australian public hospitals from 1 July 2020.
These classifications are interrelated but have different use cases as illustrated below.
*AR-DRGs used for acute care, newborn care and mental health care
With a relevant licence agreement, you can purchase the following products for the AR-DRG classification system and the ICD-10-AM/ACHI/ACS classification system:
- ICD-10-AM Tabular List
- ICD-10-AM Alphabetic Index
- ACHI Tabular List
- ACHI Alphabetic Index
- Australian Coding Standards
- AR-DRG Definitions Manual
- Mapping tables for ICD-10-AM and ACHI
- Code lists for ICD-10-AM and ACHI.
For further information, including how to purchase the classification products, please see Products and licences.