Why We Are Consulting
The ED ICD‑10‑AM principal diagnosis short list is intended to contain a sufficient number of codes to ensure the list is clinically comprehensive and meaningful, but is also practical for clinicians to manage and use effectively.
A key element of the development process is the invitation to interested parties to provide submissions to help inform the final principal diagnosis short list.
IHPA seeks advice on the following consultation questions:
1. Could the current definition of the ED principal diagnosis be improved in any way?
2. Are all ED principal diagnoses adequately accounted for in the short list, and if not, which further principal diagnosis codes should be included?
3. Do you have any suggestions to improve the draft short list?
4. Is the terminology assigned to all codes clear and comprehensive, and if not, which terminology should be amended?
5. Are there any codes that you would not be able to find with ease in the current draft short list?
6. Are the commonly used terms being placed prior to the ICD-10-AM descriptor in brackets helpful?
7. Do you have any suggestions to improve the current terminology list?
8. Are there any codes mapped to residual categories where the grouping is considered to be too broad?
These questions are included in the consultation paper which can be downloaded via the link below. IHPA has also included an excel version of the draft ED ICD-10-AM principal diagnosis short list (Appendix A).
What Happens Next
Submissions were forwarded to IHPA in a range of formats including Word, RTF, PDF and handwritten or typed hardcopy. In order to make submissions available as soon as possible, most submissions have been published in their original format. Handwritten submissions have been scanned into PDF documents. If the content has been emailed to IHPA the text of email submissions has been reproduced in Word format.
If you need help please contact IHPA by email enquiries.ihpa [at] ihpa.gov.au or by calling +61 2 8215 1100.