You are here

How to acquire a licence agreement

There are some important steps to follow before acquiring a licence to use the AR-DRG classification system. The information below highlights the steps required and provides some useful tips.

Evaluating the classification system

Before making a decision about purchasing a licence, an interested country can trial the classification system for a period of up to six months, which may be extended if required. The evaluation allows a country to obtain and use the classification system within their country, in order to gain a deeper understanding of the system and determine how applicable it is to the country’s needs.

To evaluate the classification system, the interested country is required to enter into a Deed of Confidentiality with IHPA. This Deed identifies the edition and the version of the classification system to be evaluated, and details the terms and conditions for its use, such as the period of the evaluation. A deed of confidentiality is free of charge.

If the evaluation is considered successful and the evaluating country expresses to IHPA its wishes to purchase the AR-DRG classification system, IHPA can discuss the arrangement for a transition to a full licence agreement.

IHPA strongly recommends an interested country trial the classification system before seeking to purchase a full licence agreement.

Contact us

IHPA manages the licensing arrangements for the AR-DRG Classification System and ICD-10-AM. If you would like to contact IHPA, please send an email to the Classification Licensing mailbox. IHPA will respond to assist you as soon as possible.

As Licence Agreement and Deed of Confidentiality are government-to-government agreements, IHPA can only enter into discussions on licensing arrangements with other governmental departments, such as a Ministry of Health, or organisations that are nominated to represent a government. If your organisation is not a governmental department, IHPA will request a letter of authorisation from the governmental department you are representing. This letter must be signed by a delegate authorising your organisation to act on the department’s behalf.