The establishment of the Independent Hospital Pricing Authority (IHPA) is a key element of the COAG National Health Reform Agreement (NHRA) which was signed by all governments on 2 August 2011.
The Independent Hospital Pricing Authority (IHPA) is an independent government agency established by the Commonwealth as part of the National Health Reform Act 2011. IHPA was established to contribute to significant reforms to improve Australian public hospitals. A major component of these reforms is the implementation of national Activity Based Funding (ABF) for Australian public hospitals. The implementation of ABF provides incentives for efficiency and increases transparency in the delivery and funding of public hospital services across Australia.
IHPA's primary function is to calculate and deliver an annual National Efficient Price (NEP). The NEP is a major determinant of the level of Australian Government funding for public hospital services and provides a price signal or benchmark for the efficient cost of providing public hospital services. We undertake several major areas of work designed to inform the annual determination of the NEP, including ongoing consultation with all Australian health departments, expert advisory committees and key stakeholders.
We work in partnership with the National Health Performance Authority and the Australian Commission on Safety and Quality in Health Care to ensure that pricing, quality and performance measures for public hospitals are complementary and facilitate a strong national framework for the delivery of public hospital services.
Our vision is for all Australians to have access to a sustainable, locally controlled health system that funds public hospital services using activity based funding, where practicable, based on a national efficient price.Top of page
- The Pricing Framework for Australian Public Hospital Services 2016-17
- Draft Australian Mental Health Care Classification open for public comment until 18 December 2015
- Activity Based Funding Mental Health Care Data Set Specifications: Technical Specifications for Reporting 2015-16
- National Hospital Cost Data Collection Australian Public Hospitals Cost Report 2012-2013, Round 17
- Pricing Framework 2016-17 public consultation
- Work Program 2015-16 - Public Consultation paper
- National Efficient Price Determination 2015-16 released
- National Efficient Cost Determination 2015-16 released
Page currency, Latest update: 05 January, 2015